Monday 16 January 2006

Meanwhile, in “tidak apa”-land...

(Photo taken from Jeffooi’s Screenshots.)

Two similar activities, but with one major difference. In Malaysia, this policeman seems to be nonchalant about his (and people around him) safety. A blatant disregard for safety in M’sia is not uncommon but it is (in my opinion) totally not acceptable.

Three years ago, we experienced a likely bomb-threat in the office. Because we were on the next building to the Twin Towers, the bomb-squad, fully equipped and clothed in proper masks and body suit came over to handle this crisis.

Our HR Manager received a suspicious looking package wrapped in brown paper. On it, was without a return address and was addressed to him - his name was not spelt correctly and in the wrong sequence. As we were given a safety briefing a few times, esp since 911 regarding handling of suspicious packages, he called the building safety manager and reported this to him. The safety manager then proceeded to do the suspicious package protocol –Call in the national bomb-disposal team. In about half an hour, the floor was evacuated, the packaged carefully transferred from the building to the park below. With a good open space, they did three controlled explosions.

Bang Bang Bang! The package blew up, and out flew a black piece of plastic-like material. When it was safe to do so, they removed the pieces of “evidence” and showed it to the HR manager who looked at it and recognized the piece to be part of a video-tape.

Something crossed his mind: Could it be the video-tape he has requested from the London HQ for HR-related training?

(Witnesses’ account –who happened to be my ex-colleagues, told me excitedly)

Umm.. it was! I missed out this drama that unfolded on that day, but I got to speak to the HR Manager, he told me that it was indeed a video tape that the London head-office sent over. And because the western naming-convention is different from the Asian’s, his name was spelt and organized all wrong. We laughed about it, but I thought he did the right thing, nonetheless.

So, how come the Butterworth bomb-disposal unit has no full attire to do the job, I do not know. But it is not a reason to risk one’s life going near to a suspected article.

Maybe it’s due to my four years of working under the company which preaches, practices and have a framework for HSSE (Health, Safety, Security and Environment) issues. But in my everyday life, I do obey strictly to some safety precautions: ie

  • No talking on the handphone while driving. No, driving and talking on the handphone is NOT cool, it does not make you look important and busy. You might feel important and busy but it is extremely dangerous. In my previous company, this is a sackable offence (especially if you’re driving a company car or on work assignments).

I also try to always put on my seatbelt if I am a back passenger.

Oh.. a personal story.

During one of my business trips coming back from KLIA, I actually reprimanded the driver of the limousine company that my company uses (yeah, the KLIA limos are not deemed “safe enough” for the staff to travel on) because he was driving above the permitted speed-limit, and was answering his handphone while driving. Not sure how the reporting goes, but a few days later, the GM while grinning, casually asked me “Are you really passionate about HSSE issues?”. Apparently, the driver informed someone in his company and my GM found out. I replied him honestly "Yes". Besides, the drivers have been sent for rigorous defensive driving lessons and given HSSE briefs.

So, yes, no “high risk” activities for Tsu Lin, thank you very much. That rules out sky diving, cliff jumping,even roller-coasters.. and .. etc.

The daredevils out there will probably exclaim : How… utterly… boring.. you are.

Heh, indeed. Haven't you heard about what they said about engineers? (even non-practising ones)

No comments:

 

tsulin + + All Rights Reserved Ros Designs