Friday 12 June 2009

Resepi sedap! (Delicious recipies)

12 June 2009

The past few weeks were hectic for me : studying for the "Life in UK" test for application of the UK Permanent Residency & while in the midst of studying, I have also discovered a highly addictive FB game as a destress regime- "Bejeweled Blitz" (BJB). For days, I will be playing BJB whenever I can find the time amongst studying, housekeeping, housework & caring for baby. Well, all games are addictive but this is highly addictive because on the right of the screen, you get a scoreboard with your friend's highscores updated LIVE. So everytime I play, my goal was to GET TO THE TOP!

Anyway, because I am quite fed-up with eating almost the same food every week, I thought I should bring out my trusty recipe book, an aptly titled "Hawker's Fair Simplified" (which is basically depicting all the delish hawker food of Malaysia) and looked at which recipe I should try. I decided on the "Nam Yee Spare Ribs" (Name Yee = fermented red bean curds). We usually buy streaky pork so I used streaky pork instead of spare ribs.

The hubs's feedback was SO good that he requested for it 2 days later.

(My nam yee streaky pork)

NAM YEE SPARE RIBS/ STREAKY PORK

Ingredients
Meaty spare ribs/ lean streaky pork cut into any size you wish
Oil for deep frying (I shallow fry instead)

Marinade
1 tsp bicaronate of soda
2 pcs nam yee (I used 1.5pcs)
chopped coriander leaves
1 tbsp nam yee juice
chopped garlic
light soya sauce
shaoxing wine
1 tsp of sugar, 1 tbsp oyster sauce
five spice powder
1 tsp sesame oil
dash of chicken stock granules
2 tbsp plain flour, 6 tbsp corn flour
1 egg, 100ml water

Method :
1. Combine pork with marinade & marinade for 3 hours.
2. Heat up oil for deep/shallow fry, put in pork and fry until golden brown & cooked.
3. Dish & drain. Serve.

Easy peasy!


And today for lunch, I decided to make some salmon fish cakes/patties for Shean Wenn since I think she's probably quite sick of eating the same kind of food every week. This is a recipe I got from my friend MZ who is a nanny to 2 M'sian kids. I modified it as well.

SALMON FISH CAKES/PATTIES (for kids)

Ingredients
Salmon
1 big potato
Dollop of butter
Diced shallot (make sure you dice it into tiny pieces)
2 tbsp of corn flour
2-3 tbsp of plain flour
some Cheese - Grated
some Carrot - Grated
Egg : separate yolk from white. Both will be used.
Diced Coriander
Salt & pepper to taste


Method :
1. Boil the cubed potatoes until cooked. Drain & mash with butter.
2. Add some olive oil in pan and pan fry salmon until cooked.
3. Squeeze some lemon juice onto the salmon. Use a fork to mash up the salmon with the egg yolk.
4. Mix the potatoes & salmon together.
5. Add in diced shallots, cheese, carrots, some salt & pepper to taste. Also add in coriander.
6. Pour in the egg white. Mix in about Corn Flour & Plain Flour (add in gradually to adjust to the egg consistency).
7. Make sure the consistency is not too "watery". Scoop up a spoonful using a tbsp and coat with some bread crumbs mix with a little cornflour.
8. Heat up some olive oil in a pan. Pan fry the Fish Cakes/Patty until brown & cooked.


Shean Wenn's reaction?
Can't wait to dig in!
She takes a big bite into the Salmon Patty! YUMMOS! She polished up everything!

10 comments:

Cheryl said...

OMG! I'm addicted to Bejeweled Blitz too. I only log on to fb to play it. Sad, I know.

Good luck with your test! My Malaysian friend took it and passed with flying colours. She said nothing to worry about, it's not too difficult :)

Thanks for the recipe, think I may try this someday. Sounds absolutely delicious. Me hubbs is a big fan or pork and fried foods so this is pressing all the right buttons... haha.

Tsu Lin + + said...

Cheryl : LOL! You should know how to press all his right buttons!

Our household love pork too - me, hubs & little baby. I seldom fry food but this week is like massive frying going on. I had to go out mid-week to get olive oil because I didn't anticipate I would use up the previous one so early.

BJB is addictive! What was your highest score? I am getting upset now because I am not hitting the big scores now and thinking 1min is so little time - sometimes i take 8secs to thk of my next move! Tskk!

Cheryl said...

Teehee! You're so cheeky Tsu Lin :P > . <

I'm more of a fish and chicken type of gal, but since living in UK I have been eating more pork. Your marinade sounds really, really delicious. And I LOVE the smell of shaoxhing wine. Yumyums.

Ooo, my highest score was 59k+! I definately got lucky, because the rest of the time I'm only scoring an average of 10k++. I use the 'Hint' button a lot. I'm really envious of my friend, he scored 155k+! 1 minute is really not enough. I could just happily go on for hours and hours..

tpeng said...

Hi Sis!

OMG looking at SW's pics reminds me of you in the pictures when you were a baby! Look so alike! maybe due to the short fringe i guess!m

Tsu Yen said...

Peng, that is what we thought too! Haha well I do think that the fringe makes her looks like che when she was younger hehe =)

SW is so cute and pretty!

Tsu Lin + + said...

Peng & Yen : Really?? Funny why you both said so when you guys were not even born yet when I was this age :P **nyek!**

And thanks, thanks for telling me I was cute & pretty too. Maybe it is the haircut.

Anonymous said...

Looking at the pics makes me hungry.

CHEF AWANGG said...

nice place for fine nice food,please welcome to my home to, 2 sharing my own receipe..resepienak.blogspot.com..thanks to be my friend

Lilian said...

Can I use Huatiow Chiew instead of Shaoxing? And what's streaky pork, is it sam cham bak?

Tsu Lin + + said...

Lilian : Huatiow Chiew, I believe you can use it as substitute. And yes, sam cham bak but u can use ribs too.

 

tsulin + + All Rights Reserved Ros Designs